This is a list of tips and tricks on pruning and defoliating your plants and I know this topic is highly subjective, so I want to let you know that this is what I do personally based on generations of experience with plants. I’m not excessive with defoliating, but I do it, so here’s my advice:
- Best time to do it is 2 days before flipping/switching and when plants are hungry.
- Focus on the bottom half, this is where the most shade is and where the most waste of energy is wasted on dying leaves.
- Less is always better, don’t just pull leaves off just to pull them, remember, “You cant undo too much”
- Use common sense, if the leaf looks like it’s dying, then its wasting nutrients. If it looks yellowish and it looks like its not getting light, CHOP CHOP
- If a stem does not extend past half the height of the plant, I cut the stem off completely.
- This is a perfect time to use cut stems as clones
- I usually cut off any lower leaves that are facing into the plant instead of out.
- If fan leaves are covering any cola’s, chop em, even if its up top.
- Never regret pulling off leaves that fall off easily, these are usually the best to pull.
- Feed the plant right after defoliating.
You could just use your hands, but if you want to get clean cut clones, use shears. Link to my pruning shears:
That’s all the advice I could give you. Leave a comment if you agree, disagree or have another tip.